Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I had a such an awesome time past weekend. It was strange because I was NOT looking forward to it up until I got there. Like I picked up the rental car and was still in a funk. But everything started to just come together. I was walking and a conversation with a friend over the prior week just finally hit me and my mindset just changed. Found a dress for the event that night, wandered around by myself for a couple hours and it just became better.

It the end it was a blast, there were no dramatic moments, I didn't feel the need to get piss drunk to escape and I simply didn't stop dancing (I tried, I swear, but when I sat down, my leg wouldn't stop moving, so I figured I'd better keep dancing rather than have people think I have a twitch).

I felt beautiful, the bride looked beautiful and I was surrounded by beautiful people and good music. I ran into someone I hadn't seen in 11 years. I also outdoored my glasses and everyone thought they were cute. We'll see if I can get used to them. Good times all around.

Except for the part where one heifer was wearing my dress! I couldn't persuade anyone to help me drag her outside and strip her. *hiss*

Heading home, I got picked up by my girl and her mom and we needed to go pick up her spare keys from her late aunts place. Her mom refused to go inside so my friend went in alone and her mom and I sat in the car and she told me how she was feeling about her friends sudden passing, and about just finding out that her sister has stage IV lung cancer and how she just is struggling trying to handle it all. I think I hit epiphany number 2 (number 1 was enjoy the journey) but I don't know if I am able to elucidate it yet. Hopefully I remember to come back here and put it up.

I still feel so blessed that good things are happening to so many people around me. A 40 year old friend is 12 weeks pregnant with her first child, this friend got married to someone who seems to make her very happy, another friend is hopelessy (and requitedly) in love, another recently got engaged. I'm glad I get to witness.

2011 is looking like its going to be awesome.

4 comments:

Myne said...

I'm glad to read you're feeling better about the year, and enjoyed your trip. The only way from here is up. Hugs..

Good Naija Girl said...

I'm glad you had such a great time away and have so many things to celebrate. The 40 year old pregnant with her first baby makes my heart smile at a time where friends in their late 20s are having trouble conceiving.

I don't advocate acting like there won't be or aren't any "downs", but I'm a huge fan of making the time to acknowledge and celebrate those "ups".

Jennifer A. said...

Amen to 2011 being awesome for you.

Kate said...

Awww yay! Please elucidate #2 quickly...i might can need to hear and apply it to me life!